My guild has been running low on numbers for raids lately; some days we're forced to run 10mans.
With that in mind, I started wondering - if, hypothetically, a brand-new, guildless 80 wanted to join our guild... could they gear up sufficiently in a short amount of time to join us in Ulduar *without* having done any raids whatsoever?
- No 10man/25man raids and no Emblems of Valor
- No heroic dungeon drops (said hunter has incredibly bad luck).
- No Arena (said hunter doesn't have partners).
- No BoE items from Ulduar drops/patterns (server isn't selling them yet)
- Average enchants/gems (not necessarily best for the slot, but a decent choice)
- Phyllixia's Talents and Glyphs (BM, and NOT the highest DPS BM raiding spec)
- Silvery Silvan Stave - Massacre
- Titan-Forged Chain Helm of Triumph - Arcanum of Torment, Relentless Earthsiege Diamond, Bright Scarlet Ruby
- Pendant of the Outcast Hero
- Hateful Gladiator's Chain Spaulders - Lesser Inscription of the Axe, Wicked Monarch Topaz
- Ice Striker's Cloak - Major Agility
- Titan-Forged Chain Armor of Triumph - Super Stats, Bright Scarlet Ruby, Wicked Monarch Topaz
- Slime Stream Bands - Greater Assault, Infused Twilight Opal
- Rusted-Link Spiked Gauntlets - Crusher, Bright Scarlet Ruby
- Vereesa's Silver Chain Belt - Infused Twilight Opal, Bright Scarlet Ruby (with Eternal Belt Buckle)
- Giantmaim Legguards - Icescale Leg Armor
- Titan-Forged Sabatons of Triumph - Greater Assault, Wicked Monarch Topaz
- Inscribed Band of the Kirin Tor
- Surge Needle Ring
- Mirror of Truth
- Darkmoon Card: Greatness
- Blunderbuss of Khaz Modan - Heartseeker Scope
- 50x Argent Tournament Champion's Seal
- 80x Wintergrasp Mark of Honor
- 105x Emblem of Heroism
- 49600 Honor Points
- Honoured with The Sons of Hodir
- Revered with Knights of the Ebon Blade
- Heck of a lot of gold
Comparison (using the Hunter DPS spreadsheet linked on the side bar):
Hypothetical BM hunter fully raid buffed - 5331.35 DPS, 25980 HP, 12341 Mana
Phyllixia's stats at the start of Ulduar - 6004. 07 DPS, 24879 HP, 14156 Mana
You have to admit - it's pretty close. Not to mention, if I switched the hypothetical hunter to a top DPS spec (Survival, with appropriate Glyphs and best-in-slot enchants/gems), it'd bump up the DPS at least by a few hundred.
Bottom line? Whether a guild will take you or not is another story... but hypothetically, it's definitely possible to gear up sufficiently for Ulduar without setting foot in a raid dungeon at all - and theoretically can be done in 2-3 weeks!