One of the harder heroic dungeon Achievements is Ruby Void, where Eregos in heroic Oculus must be killed without a red drake.
I hadn't really expected to get this Achievement without some dedicated strategizing with a guild group, but last night I was pleasantly surprised when I landed one of those rare PuGs where everyone in the group was skilled, geared... and most importantly - quick learners.
None of our wipes were wasted; each new suggestion was put into place and no-one made the same mistake twice. The final strategy ended up as follows:
- 3 bronze, 2 green drakes - you can (and should) buff them with player buffs. We only had a druid.
- Bronze #1 starts channelling Rift (Note: this does not aggro Eregos).
- Everyone else starts the fight by Lancing/DoTting (see below for Bronze DPS cycle).
- As soon as the boss aggros, everyone starts a timer. There is a default Blizzard stopwatch (accessed via clicking on the minimap time and enabling "Show Stopwatch").
- At ~13sec, Bronze #1 hits Time Stop. As whelps appear every ~15sec or so, this should prevent whelp spawns.
- At ~27sec, Bronze #2 hits Time Stop.
- If the DPS cycle is going as planned, Eregos should phase shift soon after, with either no or one whelp group spawn.
- Green drakes DoT up the whelps, but they are ignored for the rest of the fight.
- If the timing is right, Eregos will phase back and enrage soon after (yell: "Such insolence..." etc). At this poing, Bronze #3 hits Time Stop.
- After this, it's a DPS race to kill Eregos before you wipe to whelps. Time Stop is hit on cooldown for all drakes.
- Bronze #1 starts the fight channelling Rift, #2 and #3 Lance.
- When Bronze #1 has a 10stack, Bronze #2/3 channel Rift. AFTER this happens, Bronze #1 Lances.
- The Lance from Bronze #1 should do enough damage to the boss to give Bronze #2/3 an almost immediate 10 stacks. Bronze #1 should then channel Rift. AFTER this happens, Bronze #2/3 Lance, then start Rift again... and the cycle continues.
Our final attempt wasn't perfect - I had aggro near the end (I was on Bronze, not Green like the screenshot implies!) and died - but we did get the Achievement, some new people to put on our friends list, and an agreement to get back together to do Make it Count. PuGs Rhok!