No, of course I didn't level up and see what gear is replaced along the way... that would be way too easy (and time-consuming!).
Instead, I rode straight through Borean Tundra to the higher level areas... and here are my observations:
1. Phyllixia and Shadow vs Elite 74 mob: easy.
2. Phyllixia and Shadow vs level 80 melee mob: easy (I assume the skull was 80 because there were some level 79s).
3. Phyllixia and Shadow vs level 80 caster mob: would have been easy, but I accidentally aggroed a 2nd mob (a lvl 80 melee mob of the same type as shown above) and Shadow died :(
Things to keep in mind:
- Cats are Ferocity (DPS) pets, not Tenacity (tanking) pets
- Shadow was specced into Bloodthirsty
- I was specced into Spirit Bond
- I was NOT wearing my 2-set Riftstalker bonus, which would have provided extra healing (to the tune of 15% of my damage) to Shadow. I just didn't need it! :D
Acknowledgements: This post was brought to you by Death, and lots of it.
(In my defence, I didn't realize that you get to the higher level areas of Northrend via Borean Tundra and not Sholazar Basin, so I spent a lot of time trying to find the path :P)